10 Mobile Games That Made a Mark in the Decade Past
Mobile games have become a part of everyone’s lives We’ve listed the biggest mobile games of the decade here Every title or franchise on the list is something of a household name
Since the birth of modern smartphones with the iPhone in 2007, samsung s7 coque noir mobile games have become a part of everyone’s lives, from toddlers to baby boomers. From simple games like Snake in the previous decade, to samsung galaxy s7 coque dessin socially connected games like Candy Crush Saga, mobile games have spawned a multi billion dollar industry, and propelled the dreams of developers the world over, bringing them fame and fortune. The growth has been massive enough that major console and PC game developers such as Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Epic Games, and Square Enix have invested heavily in the sector, creating their own mobile game franchises, or in some cases, buying them outright from smaller developers.
Over the past decade, some mobile games have made a bigger mark on the collective consciousness than others, and here, we’ve listed the biggest in terms of coque iphone xr downloads and revenue (with data from app samsung galaxy s8 coque rose analytics firm coque samsung s7 one piece App Annie), apart coque iphone 8 plus roses from overall popularity. We can guarantee that every title or franchise on the list is something of a household name, and that you’ve heard of each of them regardless of how coque iphone x xs many hours a day you spend gaming coque iphone 4 on your smartphone.
Here are the best 10 mobile games of the decade past (in ascending order of their date of publishing):1. Angry BirdsReleased in 2009, Angry Birds is a casual puzzle video game developed by Finnish firm Rovio Entertainment. It’s safe to say the game spawned one of the biggest franchises in mobile game history, with 18 Angry Birds games, 7 spin off games, and two Angry Birds movies having been released since its inception. With those many titles, it’s understandable that no one Angry Birds game features on App Annie’s list of most downloaded or highest grossing games of the past decade. Games from the franchise are available on various platforms, from mobile to PC.
2. Fruit NinjaReleased in 2010, Fruit Ninja is a skill based puzzle game developed by Australia based Halfbrick Games, also known for Jetpack Joyride. In Fruit Ninja, players control a blade via their smartphone’s touchscreen, slicing up falling fruit and avoiding obstacles. The game is the ninth highest downloaded game across Android and iOS of the past decade as per App Annie. It has been published on a variety of platforms, including making its way to the Xbox 360 with motion control support coque samsung galaxy note 8 our son via coque samsung s6 dge the Kinect camera, and even with VR support for the HTC Vive, Oculus Quest, and PS VR. Popularising the 3D endless runner genre of games that later included the record breaking Subway Surfers title, Temple Run has had four sequels and spin offs. The second of those Temple Run 2 is App Annie’s third most downloaded game of the past decade, across the App Store and Google Play. The first spin off was a collaboration between Imangi Studios and Disney to promote the coque neymar samsung galaxy s7 latter’s movie Brave, and the two also partnered on another spin off for the film Oz the Great and Powerful.
4. Subway SurfersReleased coque samsung s5 3d mignon in 2012, Subway Surfers is an endless runner game that was developed by Danish companies Kiloo and SYBO Games. It can be considered amongst the pioneers of the genre, and is available across mobile and desktop platforms. Subway Surfers has several milestones to its name such as becoming the first game to cross 1 billion downloads on Google Play in 2018, and then crossing the two billion mark within 6 months of the original feat. It’s also App Annie’s top mobile game in terms of downloads in the past decade, across the App Store and Google Play.
5. Candy Crush SagaReleased in 2012, Candy Crush Saga is a tile matching game developed by Malta based King Digital Entertainment. Acquired by Activision Blizzard in 2016 for a massive sum of $5.9 billion, King specialises in socially connected games that let players associate their social network (most commonly, Facebook) profile, and share their progress with friends, thereby competing with them or inviting them to play alongside. Available on a multitude of platforms, Candy Crush Saga is number 2 on App Annie’s list of most downloaded mobile games of the past decade, and number 3 in terms of consumer spend.
6. Clash of ClansReleased in 2012, Clash of Clans is a mobile strategy game made by Finnish developer Supercell, which is also known for Brawl Stars, Clash Royale, and Hay Day. Clash of Clan players are chiefs of their coque iphone 7 8 own villages, which they build out in a persistent world. The game has enjoyed its status as the highest grossing game on both the App Store and Google Play for many years, and interestingly, hasn’t seen a port to other platforms. coque samsung s6 spigen It’s App Annie’s number 5 game in terms of downloads over the past decade, apart from being the top grossing game.
7. Hill Climb RacingReleased in 2012, Hill Climb Racing is a physics based racing video game developed by Finland based Fingersoft. Available for Android, iOS, Windows, and Windows Phone, the deceptively simple game is lambasted for its lacklustre graphics but praised for its mechanics. Players drive a car through increasingly difficult terrains while collecting coins and keeping an eye on their fuel gauge. Hill Climb Racing features at number 7 on App Annie’s most downloaded games of the past decade across Android and iOS. Hill Climb Racing 2 was released in 2016 for Android and iOS, and has also made its way to Windows 10.
8. My Talking TomReleased in 2013, My Talking Tom is a virtual pet app developed by Slovenia based Outfit7. The children’s game is part of several Talking Tom and Friends apps, first released in 2010 coque samsung galaxy s6 game of thrones in the form of Talking Tom Cat. The app has also spawned a Web series and even a television series. My Talking Tom players have to raise and nurture a cat named Tom. Another draw for children was that words spoken into the microphone could be repeated by Tom in a synthesised voice. It ranks as the fourth most downloaded game of the past decade by App Annie.
9. Pokemon GoReleased in 2016, Pokemon Go is an augmented reality (AR) and location based mobile coque la casa de papel iphone 8 coque samsung a10 plus game made by US headquartered Niantic. Formerly Niantic Labs, an internal startup within Google, the company first gained attention for Ingress, another coque note 8 samsung mickey AR, location based game. In Pokemon Go, players have to find, capture, and train virtual Pokemon creatures in the real world. It gained worldwide fame on the basis of its Pokemon fan following and innovative gameplay, breaking several records for downloads and revenue along the way. With players barging into inappropriate real world locations for the sake of the game, it also gained some notoriety in its popularity. Pokemon Go currently stands as the eighth highest earning game of the past decade as per App Annie.
10. PUBG MobileThe most recent title on our list of best mobile games, PUBG Mobile is a battle royale game first released in 2018 and is developed by China based Tencent Games. Also unlike most other games on the list, the title’s origins are from a PC game PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds which also coque samsung s7 edge dure made its way to consoles such as the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Given its recent release on mobile, it’s understandable that the game doesn’t feature on App Annie’s most downloaded or highest grossing games of the decade. However, one cannot rose coque samsung s7 edge deny the game’s popularity with the masses, with countries like India going so far as to attempt to curb ‘PUBG addiction’ in the youth. In its most popular play mode, players are air dropped onto an ever shrinking map and compete to be the last person standing.
Honourable MentionsInfinity Blade Released: 2016. Popular Because: Set the benchmark for graphics on mobile.
Monument Valley Released: 2014. Popular Because: A puzzle coque naruto iphone xs game with beautiful, minimalistic graphics.
Fortnite Released: 2018. Popular Because: A battle royale game with PC and console origins.
Flappy Bird Released: 2013. Popular Because: High difficulty, addictive gameplay, and one man developer origins.
Call of Duty Mobile Released: 2019. Popular Because: Another battle royale game, but part of the longstanding CoD franchise.
Modern Combat (Series) Released: 2009. Popular Because: A first person shooter with realistic graphics.
Honour of Kings (Arena of Valor) Released: 2017. Popular Because: A multiplayer online battle arena game for the mobile.
Will OnePlus 8 series be able to take on iPhone SE (2020), Samsung Galaxy S20 in India We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.
For the latest tech news and reviews, follow Gadgets 360 on Twitter, Facebook, and Google News. For the latest videos on gadgets and tech, subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Further reading: Best of 2019, Tech2019, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Temple Run, Subway Surfers, Candy Crush Saga, Clash of Clans, Hill Climb Racing, My Talking Tom, Pokemon Go, PUBG Mobile, Mobile Games
Abhinav Lal Email Abhinav
Abhinav Lal is News Editor at Gadgets 360 and has been tracking all things tech for over a decade now. He has written extensively on a range of topics including apps, gaming, mobiles, PCs, and Web services in his tech journalism career. Apart from editing news, he also works on reviews and features, while taking care of the product side of things at Gadgets 360. You will most likely find Abhinav editing stuff for Gadgets 360,Top 10 Smartphone Trends of 2019..